- Increased competition: MVNO, Fixed Operators and ISPs
- Threat on revenues: Price pressure on SMS and voice, regulatory constraints
- Reducing costs and generating new revenue streams: 3G investment, FMC strategies
Mobile Operators aim is to generate higher Revenues from Mobile Services through Value Added Services such as:
- Internet Applications Entertainment – Video/Music/Images/Mobile TV
- Navigation & LBS
Main trends that are identified are:
- Content Management Platforms - Users are consuming more content.
Content and rich media are catalysts of ARPU. Solutions include: Management, Personalization, Content Adaptation, Marketing, Rich Media (Video, Music, Games).
- Device Interface and Usability Technologies - Users are adopting new sensor-driven technologies such as touch-panel displays, enhanced camera phones and gyros. All of these rising technological solutions are part of the drive to allow integration of advanced applications into mobile devices such as Gaming, Video & Music, Healthcare, Commerce and IT.
- Mobile TV / P2P / VoIP - The established communication platforms will remain the leading source of revenues. Emerging technologies and new business models are changing the way consumers pay for these services (VoIP) leading operators to develop more advanced services (MobileTV).
- Internet & Mobile Convergence - Internet and mobile convergence will change the way consumers use the two platforms. The consumption of media will no longer be the same in killer applications such as UGC, Social Networking, Advertising, Search and Instant Messaging.
- Mobile Advertising - Advertisers are offering new revenue-generating models in the mobile space led by new value added services such as Sponsored Calls, SMS, Search and Content.
- Personalized Services - Specialized features and phones designed for targeted services and applications will allow a segmentation of users.